Chakrata Hill Station
Chakrata, a small town of Uttarakhand is known for its unparalleled beauty which grabs attention of a large number of tourists throughout the year. Located at an altitude of about 7,000 feet above the sea level in the Garhwal region, this destination is truly delightful to indulge yourself in lap of Mother Nature. This very beautiful and interesting place is spreaded across two hills, Chakrata and Kailana. The natural beauty and serene atmosphere of Chakrata Dehradun leave every tourist spellbound.
Chakrata hill station is also a perfect gateway for honeymooners and adventure enthusiasts. The villages in vicinity, the oak jungle, the beating of the drums during all seasonal festivals, and daily evening pooja and the attention grabbing sound of the stream flowing nearby makes this place an ideal for momentous vacation. If you want to spend some quality time with your friends and family, this destination is definitely going to act as a landmark for you.
Himalayan paradise chakrata is known for its natural beauty and beautiful colonial buildings. The whole region offers a spectacular panoramic view of the Garhwal himalayas mountain ranges.
Places to See in Chakrata
- Tiger Fall – Located at short distance from the city, Tiger fall is a prime location to grab attention of adventure tourists particularly trekkers.
- Kanasar – This destination of Chakrata is popular as a picnic spot. Located at a distance of about 26 km away from the city, Kanasar is an ideal destination for couples looking forward to relish the scenic view of breathtaking surroundings. Densely occupied with green vegetation, Kanasar is amazingly an ideal destination to spend time with your companion. The night halts are made possible by the equally picturesque Forest Rest Houses.
- Devban – Situated about 16km away from the city, Devban is bounded by forest. This destination is ideal for people coming to enjoy weekend vacation of Chakrata.
- Chilmiri Neck – Surrounded with panoramic view, Chilmiri Neck is an ideal spot for birdwatchers. This place is also renowned due to location of the mess and quarters of the cantonment. Easily accessible from Devban by a jeepable road, this place is also perfect for skiing.
- Mundoli – Trekkers will definitely love to make a tour to Mundoli as this destination has everything a trekker or enthusiast can wish for.
- Hanol – Located at an elevation of 1429 rnts, Hanoi is 186 kms away from Dehradun. This is the place where a temple is dedicated to Lord Mahasu and widely grabs attention of spiritual and other interest tourists.
- Moigad Fall – Located about 69kms from Dehradun, Moigad fall is a serene and tranquil place to get refreshing experience on the whole.
- Ram Tal Garden – This horticultural garden attract a large number of tourists every day. Ram Tal Garden consists of variety of flora and fauna which can be easily discovered. Birds of many varieties can be glimpsed here. Some of the popular birds include grey treepie, turtle dove and jay with a black head. This garden also includes a small pond and an apple orchid.
Other attractions and places to visit in Chakrata that impressively attracts tourists coming to this place include the Ashokan Edict at Kalsi, Ram Tall Horticulture Garden, Kanasar Forest, Budher Cave and Forest, Thana Danda Peak and more.
Chakrata generally experience temperate climate. Though, it varies from tropical to severe cold depending upon the elevation of the area. Summer season of Chakrata remains pleasant and salubrious. The area receives average annual rainfall and most of the annual rainfall the place receives during the months from June to September. The place receives snowfall during winters and being a tourist one will require heavy woolen clothes. Winter is the perfect season to relish snow capped Himalayas.
Where to Stay
Tourists who travel to Chakrata can choose from among various hotels and resorts according to their budget and convenience. Most of the hotel of Chakrata has the taste of the local architecture with the latest amenities. Most of the products used in the hotels of this place are picked from the various nearby villages. The eco-friendly rules are followed to the best and the hotel guests are always advised to read the guidelines mentioned in the pages.
Fairs and Festivals
- Bissu Fair – This very popular fair of Chakrata is held at the Jhanda ground in cantonment area of Chakrata block of the Dehradun district. The fair reflects cultural heritage and tradition of Jaunsari tribe. The fair marks harvesting season and truly reflects the happiness of the local people.
- Mahasu devta’s Fair – This fair is held at Hanol in August every year, when Mahasu deity is taken out in a parade musical prayers continue for three days and nights. The arrangement of this local fair is managed by the government of India.
- Shaheed Veer Kesri Chandra Fair (Chakrata Fair) – This very celebrating fair is held at Ramtal in Nagau gram sabha of Chakrata tehsil in Dehradun district. A big fair is held here every year in April during Navrataras. This spot exhibit a temple and a memorial dedicated to the freedom fighter Veer Kesri Chandra.
Shopping in Chakrata is the most important activities among the tourists. Shopping in Chakrata is characterized by various shops that sell trinkets and other small souvenirs to take back home from Badrinath. Besides this, a number of shops sell woolen items, which are the specialty shopping items of almost every hill station.
How to Reach
Easy connectivity of Chakrata makes it an ideal destination for the tourists of all interests coming here. Chakrata is easily connected to air, rail and road routes. JollyGrant Airport is located at a distance of 113 km from Chakrata and receives domestic flights from Delhi at regular interval of time. Dehradun is the nearest railhead with taxis and buses options to cover a long mile of 87km between the rail station and Chakrata. Tourists can also make their availability to this destination using buses that run from Delhi to Garhwal regions.