Planning to escape with family & friends for few days to a destination that bestow you lifelong memorable time? Dhanaulti is the right place to opt out. Dhanaulti is a beautiful Himalayan town, located amidst thick pine, Cedar and Rhododendron forest, superb weather round the year and great view of snow capped Himalayan peaks. Peaceful ambiance and hospitable people welcomes you at beautiful Dhanaulti. Though, it is a small hill station, it truly offers some beautiful places for you to roam around. Some of the major tourist attraction of this place includes:
Places to Visit in Dhanaulti
- Nag Tibba – With some interesting places to visit around, Dhanaulti allow every tourist to explore numerous hikes around the hill town adding up an overnight excursion to Nag Tibba.
- Kanatal – This very elegant place is located about 13kms away from Dhanaulti and widely grabs attention of picnic lovers. Take a day trip and picnic in the beautiful surroundings of Kanatal and relish a great view of the Himalayas.
- Chamba Valley – Located about 31 kms from Dhanaulti, this place is truly picturesque with delightful sights.
- New Tehri – New Tehri is a recent development with abundance potential of tourism. A beautiful dam is constructed here with a promise to attract large number of tourists every day. The place is not simply ideal for day picnic lovers but as well offer water sport facilities to the visitors coming here.
- Surkanda Devi Temple – Religious importance make this temple very significant. This temple experiences a large crowd for its Ganga Dussehra fair which is held in autumn. This temple is located at a height of approx 1000 feet providing its visitors to trek 1.5km from base to hill.
- Eco Park – It is the prominent attractions of Dhanaulti. Amber and Dhara –two eco parks are two recent establishments by Forest Division of Uttarakhand. The total area covers a protected patch of deodar trees, with wild flower hedges. Eco-huts are built using green technology to attract tourists into an environment friendly area. Since it has become a favorite picnic spot of the tourists coming here, one can easily find several eateries in the park who sell pop corns, peanuts and tea. To relish the ambience of the park, you merely need to give a nominal entry fee to the park.
- Potato Farm – Your trip to Dhanaulti will be incomplete without making a tour to the potato farm here. You can even book a horse ride to travel around potato farms. Located about 1 km away from the main market, these farms are owned by the garment. These farms are also a popular point to witness sunrise.
- Matatila Dam – Make a day picnic here with your family and friends and relish ample of water sporting activities.
- Tehri Dam – This Asia’s largest man-made dam, with Asia’s largest lake cater attention of all age of tourists every day.
- Kanali fort of Dhanaulti – This fort has 31 Jain temples located inside it. Need not to wonder as Dhanaulti served as a Jain center till 17th century which can be acknowledged after seeing the temples.
Camping in Dhanautli
Dhanaulti is untouched by urbanization. A beautiful view of the Gangotri and the Yamunotri glaciers adds to the panorama and truly make your trip to Dhanaulti unforgettable forever. Camping in Dhanautli is not new and the camp site itself has become the brand name under adventure camping. Camp Awara Dhanaulti is a perfect place for the people looking for adventure camping and adventure activities. Camp Awara is located at the height of 7500 feet from sea level in Dhanaulti, between Mussoorie Chamba roads under Tehri Garhwal District. The camp owner provides best services to the people without any hassle. Camp promises to serve nice and hygienic services in camping accommodation, which a hotel or any resort could hardly deliver.
Adventure enthusiasts can relish an array of adventure activities in Dhanaulti including trekking, camping, hiking, river rafting and rock climbing etc. If you are a true skater, make your trip in the winter season when snowfall covers the tree tops, mountain peaks and the whole surroundings.
Weather in Dhanaulti
The summer temperatures in the town range from 30 °C to 35.5 °C, while winter temperatures remain between 7 °C and -1 °C. Winter season witness heavy snowfall and on the other hand, summer season is best for trekking, hiking and camping. So both summer and winters are the peak seasons to book your hotel in advance. Monsoon remains between July to September, should be best avoided as the mountains turn misty and the region gets isolated.
Events And Festivals
Dhanaulti is also known for the vibrant events and festivals held every year. Some of must not to be missed events and festivals includes the Surkhananda Devi fair, holi and dipawali. Surkhananda Devi fair is held on the occasion of Ganga Dussehra at the Surkhanda Devi Temple.
Shopping in Dhanaulti is all about purchasing organic food items, handicraft items, and hand woven woolen garments. Handlooms and handicrafts for shopping are available in the form of shawls, stoles, scarves, and throws made using natural dyes, eri silk and pashmina. You can also get some eatables like fresh apple juice, jam etc to eat and also bring back your home as souvenir. If you want to try different varieties of apples including Golden Delicious, Early Sunberry, Royal Delicious and Red Delicious apples and more then never forget to head to the Apple Orchard Resort.
Where to Stay
Dhanaulti offers abundant of budget accommodation options starting from deluxe campsites to guesthouses. Budget hotels are also available for the budget travelers.
How to Reach
Dhanaulti is easily accessible from all modes of transportation. The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport which is located about 82 km away from Dehradun. Taxi is easily accessible from the airport. The nearest railway station is Dehradun. It is about 66 km away from Dehradun. Private taxis and shared taxis are also made available to getting around Dhanaulti.