Situated in the state of Uttarakhand, amidst the staggering beauty of mountain peaks, 5000m high in the calm resort of Harsil, this place invite tourists of all interests to spend few days in the lap of ‘Mother Nature’ and enjoy the surroundings. This very picturesque site is fully packed with tourist hotspots. Harsil is truly the ideal place to relish your tension free holidays in tranquility. The scenery in Harsil is sprinkled with several small shrines that you can visit throughout your trip to the city. One can also discover very thick deodar forests in Harsil. Added with gorgeous mountain panorama, this place allows you engage yourself in different adventure activities including trekking and mountaineering etc. There are several adventurous trekking routes that one can do in the vicinity of Harsil. Taking a holiday at Harsil will proffer you a rejuvenating experience and allow you to make your involvement in meditation and yoga. Located in a picturesque valley, Harsil Valley is inhabited mainly by the Bhotia tribes.
Harsil is a cantonment area and hence restricted for the foreign tourists. Tourists looking peace in the lap of nature can walk through the pristine valleys among tall trees and surrounding lakes or go on long treks.
Harsil is an unspoiled and hidden jewel of Uttarakhand state offering ample scope for people seeking peace and serenity in the lap of Himalayas. This place has become popular in recent years with travel enthusiasts and nature lovers. The place is popular for its fruits orchids which produce some of the finest apples of India.
Places to See in and Around Harsil
- Dharali – Dharali is a beautiful hamlet situated about 3 kms away from Harsil. Easily accessible through motorable roads, Dharali is popular for its fruits orchids which produce healthy apples.
- Gangotri – Situated only 25km from Harsil, this Hindu pilgrimage is placed beautifully in the Himalayas at a height of 3140m from sea level. According to saying, River Ganga ascended on earth at this place and hence millions of people come here every year between April and November to glimpse this holy temple.
- Gaumukh – Situated about 18km walk from Gangotri, this place has its own place in the hearts of pilgrims.
- Mukhwas Village – Situated only 1km from Harsil, this place is the home of Goddess Gangotri during winters because Gangotri regon is prone to heavy snowfall during winters. Devotees make their visit to this place to pay homage to the goddess. Presently, this place is developed by the state government as a major pilgrimage destination by introducing winter Char Dham.
- Sat Tal – Cluster of mysteriously interconnected seven freshwater lakes, Sat Tal (seven lakes) is located at an altitude of 1370mts above sea level. This group of lakes is set amidst dense forests of oak and pine trees and you will find the water of this Tal unspoiled and unpolluted. The names of the seven lakes are Purna Tal, Ram Tal, Sita tal, Laxman Tal, Nal Damyanti Tal, Sukh Tal and Garud Tal.
- Brahmi Tal – This beautiful place is situated at a height of 4000m. Tourists coming to Harsil can reach this place after a 10km bridle trek from Purali village close to Jashpur Band which is only 5km from Harsil towards Uttarkashi.
- Kush Kalyan – This is simply a paradise for adventure enthusiasts. You can reach here via a bridle trek from Malla through Silla village just a 15 km trek.
- Nachiketa Tal – Nachiketa, the son of sage Uddalak, created this lake. This tranquil spot is beautified with a small temple which is situated by this place.
- Uttarkashi – This religious centre incorporate many temples. It’s equated with Kashi in divine importance. This very important pilgrimage centre is located on the way to Gangotri.
- Dodi Tal – Source of Asi Ganga, Dodi Tal is surrounded by lakes and breathtaking Himalayan beauty to attract all the tourists coming to this place.
Harsil is a trekker’s paradise. There are numerous trekking routes in and around Harsil, offering bewitching beauties of nature. This place is surrounded by the breathtaking splendor of the majestic Himalayan peaks. Make your visit to undiscovered stretches of green, grassy land and enjoy the surroundings.
When to Visit
The temperature of Harsil remains pleasant during summers and reaches freezing point during winters. The best time to visit Harsil is from last week of April to last week of October.
Where to Stay
Forest rest house, private hotels, guest houses and luxury camps are major accommodation options available in Harsil.
How to Reach
- By Air: The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport, situated at a distance of 244kms and is well connected with daily flights.
- By Rail: The nearest railhead is Rishikesh, situated at a distance of 244 kms and is well connected by railway networks with major destinations of India and trains to Rishikesh are frequent.
- By Road: Harsil is well connected by buses and taxis with major destinations of Uttarakhand state like Rishikesh, Dehradun, Tehri, Uttarkashi, etc.