Places to visit in Mussoorie
Located in the great Himalayas of India, the Queen of Hill Mussoorie appeals to thousands of tourists of all interests throughout the year. The breathtaking picturesque beauty of this charming place along with many exciting fun filled activities, tourists can relish the real beautify of Mussoorie.
Mussoorie hill station is a sole destination with lots of exciting attractions and activities for almost everyone. Adventure enthusiasts can look forward to some exciting adventure sports including hiking, trekking, mountain climbing or more and nature lovers can relish the natural beauty in the lap of Mother Nature. Undoubtedly Mussoorie is one of the most sought out destination in the country to get refreshed from the city life.
Major Tourists Attractions in Mussoorie
Mussoorie is an ideal destination for availing exquisite travel experience. This place has appealed tourists even internationally. Some of the places to visit in Mussoorie comprise:
- Kempty Fall – Located at an altitude of 1370 meters and about 15kms from Mussoorie on the Yamunotri road, Kempty fall widely attract thousands of tourists from every nook and corner of the world. The very mesmerizing place will fill you with extra energy and allow you explore the beautiful fall. You can take a dip or splash the fall water on your loved ones; truly you can enjoy the flow of water in the way you want.
- Bhatta Fall – Located about 7 km from Mussoorie on Mussoorie-Dehradun Road near Bhatta Village. This fall with different ponds for bathing and water amusements, it acts as an ideal place for picnic lovers.
- Lakes Mussoorie Lake – Built by City Board & Mussoorie Dehradun Development Authority, Mussoorie Lake is situated at 6km on Mussoorie-Dehradun road. This very renowned picnic spot offer great facility of pedaled boats to the visitors.
- Lake Mist – Located about 5 km before Kempty Fall, on the Mussoorie-Kempty road, Lake Mist is a must have picnic spot with affordable accommodation and restaurant facilities. Since Lake Mist has many small waterfalls made by the river, tourists can enjoy boating with friends and family.
Temples & Other Places
- Nag Devta Temple – Nag Devta Temple or Snake God Lord Shiva temple is situated on Cart Mackenzie Road about 6 km from Mussoorie on the way to Dehradun. This place not only grabs the attention of spiritual tourists but tourists with other interests as well make a visit to this temple as it provides an enchanting view of Mussoorie and the Doon Valley.
- Jwalaji Temple – This temple is situated at an altitude of 2240 m on the top of the Benog Tibbba hill and about 9 km west of Mussoorie. The idol of goddess Durga is placed in this temple. The historical temple and the view of the Aglar River Valley easily grab attention of the tourists coming to Mussoorie.
- Municipal Garden – Located at a distance of 4km by rickshaw cycles, the Municipal Garden of Mussoorie is an ideal picnic spot and also widely grabs attention of newlyweds. Blended with beautiful flowers, and cool lake, this garden offers boating in the lake which is surrounded by trees of pine and deodar.
- Dhanaulti-Dhanolti – Located about 24 kms from Mussoorie, Dhanaulti –Dhanolti imparts a breathtaking view of the valleys and the Himalayan peaks. The spotlight attractions of this place include long wooded slopes, lazy outings, cool patting breeze, friendly and hospitable inhabitants, pleasant weather and fabulous view of snow covered mountains and more. Truly, Mussoorie is an ideal retreat for a relaxed holiday.
- George Everest House – Sir George used to use the George Everest House as his office and residence. Tourists who keep interest in history never forget to make a tour to this place.
- Van Chetna Kendra – Located at a distance of about 2kms on Tehri, this place is surrounded with pine forest and flowering shrubs and gradually developing as a picnic spot. The major attraction of Van Chetna Kendra is the wildlife of the park like Ghurar, Kanankar, Himalayan Peacock, Monal etc.
- Cable Ride – Mussoorie cable ride allow you enjoy a ropeway ride to the second highest peak of Mussoorie. The total distance of the ropeway is only 400mtrs, though it will provide you a sheer thrilling experience.
The favorable climatic condition makes Mussoorie a perfect destination for tourists throughout the year. However, mid March to mid November is the best time to visit Mussoorie.
Fairs and Festivals
Mussoorie experience many different lively festivals such as autumn festivals, summer festivals, bhardwaj festival and more to leave you spellbound.
- Autumn Festival – This festival is well organized by the Municipal Board Autumn Festival and happens to be one of the major festivals celebrated with great pomp and show.
- Summer Festival – Organized by Nagar Palika Parishad of Mussoorie, this festival hosts many of educational events such as seminars and debates, cultural parades and more entertaining events.
- Bhardwaj Festival – This festival is well organized by Bhadraj temple in the third week of August (Shravan Sankranti) every year.
Mussoorie offer thrilling shopping opportunities to the visitors coming here. Mussoorie Tibetan street market is dotted with oak-wood walking streets, hand-knitted shawls and winter clothes etc. You as well can buy woodcarvings, ceramic vases and semi-precious and precious stones, fabric wall hangings, walking sticks, trays, bowls, cane baskets and more.
Where to Stay
Mussoorie offer all levels of accommodation facilities to the tourists. If you are looking for budget hotels, some of the renowned hotels in Mussoorie names include Ashoka Continental, Hotel Connaught Castle, Hotel Honeymoon Inn, Emerald Heights, Lords Mussoorie, Horizon Mussoorie, Nand Residency, Starz Regency, Peak View, Western Hotel, Hotel Valley View and more. Tourists who are not constraints to budget can make their stay in 3, 4 or 5 star hotels including Hotel Fort Resorts, Hotel Country Inn Mussoorie, Hotel Hotel Green n Breeze Resorts, Solitaire Plaza, Shiva Continental, Hotel Avalon Resorts, Hotel Park Plaza Sylverton and : Hotel Jaypee Residency Manor etc.
How to Reach
Mussoorie is well connected by road to Delhi and also to prominent cities of India. The nearest railway station is Dehradun. Taxies and buses are also easily accessible at regular intervals of time.